Head of the River Fours

On Saturday November 23rd, 480 crews will take to the water in an annual processional race on the tideway. With staggered starts the coxed fours, coxless fours and quadruple sculls are timed along the 4 1⁄4-mile (6.8 km) Championship Course from Mortlake to Putney in a race that attracts both senior and junior crews from clubs, universities and schools.

'Head of the River 4s' was first raced in 1955 with just 34 crews and was initially known as Tradesmen’s Rowing Clubs’ Association Head of the River Fours, reflecting those who organised the race. In 1962, and after various changes, the event became known simply as 'The Head of the River Fours'. Today, with close to 500 crews taking part, the race attracts thousands of spectators and along with it, headline sponsors – currently Fuller’s Brewery.

The Rowing Suit (Men's) The Rowing Suit (Women's)


This year, as always, the doors at Crewroom will be open on race day along with the Sunday for Veteran Fours Head where our very own Kate Giles will be racing. We’ll be displaying some of our new arrivals including the brand new Crewroom Rowing Suit made with soft touch, opaque fabric with four-way stretch, specifically designed for the rowing motion.

To see this and more of our new Autumn/Winter collection, be sure to drop by our store on Putney Embankment. You'll find us here...

Crewroom